Thursday, November 14, 2013

How Did I Get Here?

If someone had told me on June 31st what would take place between now and then, I would've laughed at them, rolled my eyes, and called them crazy.
 
***
 
Going on a mission was always an option for me, but I guess you could say I never took that option seriously. I always assumed that I would get married before then.
I've always been always been loud and outgoing, not really shy, but when it comes to my religion...I tend to hold that very near to my heart. I also believe that people should worship, how, where and what they may. Who am I to force my religion on them?
So I figured that being a missionary isn't what I really wanted to do.
But God always has a different plan for us, and usually it involves a little something
of something we don't want to do.
 
For about two months before I really decided to serve a mission I was dating two amazing guys. And I at first I was contemplating who to pursue a relationship with. For some time I had a distinct impression to date #2, and so I did but I couldn't shake the feeling that it wasn't quite right, but neither was dating #1. So I continued praying, occasionally tossing in the idea of a mission. But I couldn't decide. They were all excellent choices, two Honorably Returned Missionaries, both great men. Either would make a great eternal companion. Or a mission, also a good choice. But I couldn't grasp which path to choose.
 
So I prayed again. And again. And again. And finally I asked for a blessing.
The blessing didn't say "And you are to serve a mission". In fact, I don't remember what the blessing said at all. But I remember the feeling. The distinct impression that I needed to serve a mission.
 
Dang it.
And so I ignored it for a few days.
Until the branch missionaries asked to meet with me.
I didn't know why, there was a past incident where they thought I was a new member, but I thought we'd cleared that up. But I figured hey, what they heck? It can't hurt to meet with them.
 
So two days later they were in my living room, talking to me about being a better member missionary. Thank you Heavenly Father, your sense of humor is fantastic.
But it worked. At the very beginning of the lesson one of the Elder's kept playing with his missionary badge. And I caught a glimpse of what it could be like for me to have my very own missionary badge. For the next few days, I felt like I was wearing a badge. No one looked at me different, no one asked me anything about the gospel and I didn't share my testimony, but I could feel it there. 
 
And so I decided I would call the Branch secretary and set up a meeting with the President. 
 
Before the Branch secretary even called me back, the Branch President was there.
 In my office.
Staring at me with a smile.
 
He asked me how I was doing and I asked him if he had any opening for a short meeting.
 
So, that night we met and the next day I started and finished my papers. All I had to do was doctor's/dentist's appointments.
 
On September 20th my call came!
 
Dear Sister Crist,
You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter-day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the PUERTO RICO SAN JUAN mission. It is anticipated that you will serve for a period of 18 months. You should report to the Dominican Republic Missionary Training Center on Wednesday, January 1, 2014. You will prepare to preach the gospel in the Spanish Language.
 
Every time I read those words I get teary eyed and can feel the Savior's love for me so strongly. I know without a doubt that I am to serve a mission. At first it was because that's what I was being told by our Heavenly Father through the Holy Ghost that that's what I needed to do, but through time it has become because I want to.
 
I realized, that I needed to at first date and consider marriage to know that it wasn't what I needed to do at this time. But I needed to get out all doubts. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland said it best when he shared a story about him and his son driving home from a trip in the desserts of Utah. They came to a fork in the dirt road and weren’t sure which way to go. They prayed about it and felt right about going to the right. They drove that way and soon realized that the way they had chosen was a dead end so they turned around and went the other way.
Elder Holland’s son asked why Heavenly Father would tell them to go the wrong way. Elder Holland concluded that sometimes Heavenly Father wants us to go the wrong direction for a short time because He would rather have us know without a doubt that the other way is the right way rather than just travel on without knowing for sure.
 
I know with all my heart that this is the true and restored gospel.
I know that I can be with my family for forever, and that it is going to be SO hard to leave them for a year and a half. But I have an eternity to be with them, and right now I am needed in Puerto Rico to share the gospel. To share with others the knowledge of the Plan of Happiness that I have. That the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true gospel, that the Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ and that it provides the only true and lasting happiness. I know that we can live with our families after this life in the eternities. I know that our Heavenly Father knows us personally. He hears and answers our prayers. Sometimes it isn't how we expect but He is there and He loves us.
Going on a mission isn't about forcing my religion upon others, but to bring the message and the love of Christ unto others. And I cannot wait to share His message with the wonderful people of Puerto Rico!
 
 
Until next time,
xoxo Blonde Chocoholic
 

No comments:

Post a Comment